Friday, April 11, 2008

Traveling without your cellphone: Not recommended

This week I had a business trip to Alpharetta, GA. I hate that town. Seriously. It is a huge strip mall. Shopping center, shopping center, shopping center, subdivision subdivision, subdivision.

I can tell when I hate a town when it has clearly been designed for one reason: to facilitate automobile traffic. Every street that isn't a cul-de-sac in some twisted, meandering subdivision, is a 4-lane highway. The sidewalks are afterthoughts. Don't even think about a bike lane, or any speed limits less than 35 in non-residential areas.

Anywho, the worst part was, I forgot my cell phone at home. For 4 days, I was without it. That sucks, my friends.

Luckily, I was able to get ahold of some of the few people that I know in Atlanta. On Wednesday night I was alone (my co-worker had gone home already), and I drove to the Dick Lane Velodrome to watch the races.

Velodrome racing is fun as hell to watch. I found that my knowledge of track and field helped translate a little bit, because I could judge distance well. But the strategy is totally different because so many of the races are based on who gets the most points, so you are doing math in your head, and if you are in a group you are going to go faster than if you are by yourself, so you see lots of impromptu alliances between racers. The coolest thing I think was during the last race of the evening, a 40-lap points race for experts (that is 10 miles), one guy lapped the ENTIRE FIELD. That, my loyal readers, is tough as hell. I'm pretty sure I would have died trying to race these people. Serious, serious legs.

Anyway, the next day I finished work early and stopped by my friends' shop, No Brakes, and hug out for a bit. Cool little shop, kind of a bicycle boutique. If you've been to trackstar in NYC, it's a lot like that. Probably similar to Yojimbo's in Chicago as well (Ruth you should check that out).

When I got to the airport, I was surrounded by a bunch of surly folks of every race, and I was not surly, so I felt silly. And I started whistling to myself. This was the song I whistled:

4 comments:

nydampress said...

I totally forgot to ask you about watching the bike race, some wife I am :)

p.s. Watching that video makes me wish it was summer. And that I was sitting on a slide that was so hot, it would be burning my legs.

Lyz said...

I love that song. And also how cute/dorky all the kids look.

I can't wait till I have my own cute dorks. Because, OH, you know they will be. Dorks, that is. And hopefully cute too.

. said...

I've got one daddy, I've got two...early support for the gay movement from the children's television workshop.

isn't it bad that i didn't even have to play the video to remember the lyrics?

i never realized that they were all lipsyncing though. it's okay.

Lyz said...

See, I just figured that those two daddies were married to different mommies...like the folks divorced and Mom remarried? Anyway.

CTW has always been good at preparing kids for different situations.