Monday, April 28, 2008

Weekend of Adventure! And then lazy.

Saturday, I went mountain biking. Super fun. Until this happened. I was going down a trail full of little jumpy-things. I came upon a bigger-jumpy thing, and went slow so I wouldn't launch myself into the stratosphere. Approaching it, it looked like this:

Since it was my first time on the trail, I didn't know that it actually looked like this:

And, because I was going slow, I landed like this:

So, needless to say, I got tossed. Hard. A lot of rolling, sliding, and a little bleeding. But I came up relatively unscathed. Which is saying a lot, because my riding buddy had just broken his foot at the top of this little trail. He got a little bit of shadenfreude in, so at least I helped him out.

Sunday was soooo lazy it was awesome. We watched a couple episodes of "The Universe", a PBS series that came recommended by Kate's dad. We just got finished watching Planet Earth, and I thought it would be kind of like that - super-dry, just footage with a boring narrator.

NO WAY! It had more animations and graphics than I have ever seen. Including some depressingly poor animations of a meteor striking Big Ben. I had a lot of gripes about their misrepresentations of scale (showing the sun as about 4 times the size of the earth and about 5 earth-diameters away), and certain omissions (neglecting to say that photons are massless), but it was pretty interesting nonetheless.

And there was no shortage of unfathomable figures thrown at us: The force of 100 million Hiroshima bombs! The 100-billion times the mass of Mount Everest! How to they quanitify that? Where does the mass of Mount Everest end? At base camp? At 5,000 feet? At the ocean? Everything within a 10-mile radius of the peak? Seriously.

Then I played a lot of this:



For those of you who own a Wii and never had a gamecube, go to your local used-game store, buy a used GC controller, and get a copy of this. I maintain that it is one of the greatest games of all time, and is cute and awesome too. So much fun. It just can't be stopped. Usually Zelda games don't have a lot of replayability, but for some reason Windwaker works.

Also, we filled up Kate's car with gas and it cost a ton of money. I feel really guilty about driving to work again... time to get riding.

1 comment:

nydampress said...

Your bike drawings make me really happy inside.
Also, is it really sad that even seeing the picture still from the Windwaker game, brings me great joy?